Our good friends at The Criterion Collection have offered us two copies of both their stunning new Blu-Ray release of the classic Black Orpheus (reviewed here) and the hugely popular bossa nova filled soundtrack on CD.
Details on how to enter the competition are at the bottom of this page, but in the meantime, here's some information about the prize:
Winner of both the Academy Award for best foreign-language film and the Cannes Film Festival’s Palme d’Or, MARCEL CAMUS’ Black Orpheus (Orfeu negro) brings the ancient Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice to the twentieth-century madness of Carnival in Rio de Janeiro. With its eye-popping photography and ravishing, epochal soundtrack, Black Orpheus was a cultural event, kicking off the bossa nova craze that set hi-fis across America spinning.
Black Orpheus is out now on Blu-ray in the UK, released by The Criterion Collection.
The Blu-Ray includes the following special features:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
- Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
- Archival interviews with director Marcel Camus and actress Marpessa Dawn
- New video interviews with Brazilian cinema scholar Robert Stam, jazz historian Gary Giddins, and Brazilian author Ruy Castro
- Looking for “Black Orpheus,” a French documentary about Black Orpheus’s cultural and musical roots and its resonance in Brazil today
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Atkinson
Entering the Competition
To enter you simply need to share the competition on social media AND email us your details.
To use Twitter to share the competition, follow us @blueprintrev and copy and paste the following into a Tweet:
#bpcomp @blueprintrev Win Black Orpheus - http://blueprintreview.co.uk/2017/01/competition-black-orpheus-blu-ray-soundtrack
Or you can share the page on Facebook by pasting the link or using the appropriate share icons below (don't forget to 'Like' us too): www.facebook.com/bpreview
Once you've shared/tweeted the competition, you need to email us (subject - 'Black Orpheus Competition') with your name, Twitter/Facebook handle (whichever you used to share the competition) and postal address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2 winners will be picked at random when the competition has closed. The competition is only open to residents of the UK – one entry per person and Blueprint: Review contributors are not eligible. The competition ends on 6th February 2017 at 12pm. The winner will be contacted by email soon after that date.